Wednesday, August 17, 2016

New Hampshire Suite IV

IV.

By the third night of our stay, I had grown
Entirely restless, feeling trapped in a room with
An over abundance of your love –your every word
Of endearment, as if, a toxic sting boring into my ears,
Every I Love You, a needle’s painful prick. The trigger,
Unknown, I felt in my bones, a depressive ideation; my eyes,
Shaky, under a translucent lid of tears.

You knew something was wrong, when
My every response to your questions became
Pithy, nearly monosyllabic –a majority, No, coupled
With an occasional Maybe –and you asked me
In your polite demeanor, Can I do anything to help you?

I hadn’t hesitated then, to say, Yes you can.
You can take me back home to New York, as
Soon as your schedule will allow.
I have missed it. Terribly.

1 comment:

Aruni RC said...

such a city-slicker good lord!