Monday, August 1, 2016

Two

I find myself going back, time and time again,
To the Breuer’s exhibit on Madison Ave,
            To see, the installation of two 

Oranges; their peels, left to blacken,
Then sewn back together in careless loops
Of thread. 

They look like a pair of smashed baseballs.  

Even within the box of glass, where they wait –
            For whom, I know not yet – the black
Gets blacker. Biology waits for none –this stiff process
            Of collapse. The pores of skin,
Visibly rot, but don’t, however, crumble.

A sign on the side says, the installation is
            A symbolism. No nuances further described–perhaps
Leaving to my imagination, this odd, patient couple.
            I think of bodies, then, and how they perish,
Yet memories, that remain.

No comments: