Monday, May 2, 2016

Trouble

We floated so smoothly
through the first two years,
like cotton clouds sucking on pink lollipops,
that I was surprised when we grayed
and grew
into a thunderstorm.

The sky danced beyond our reach.

Stars blushed in A-line dresses.

My behavior,
you said,
sliced you so deeply
that you felt exposed,
and un-clotted in your wounds;
as if you were bleeding everywhere -
arteries crackling.

We erupted in screams,
one night.

On another,
You left me in a wall of darkness
with an ice cube
and a bottle of honey,
expecting apologies.

But I spritzed cologne, instead,
around my tapering neck,
and lay in bed,
kissing a pillow, and
dreaming of purple hollyhocks.

Moonlight encased me
like a mosquito net.

I spent the night
talking to memories of you.

Perhaps,
my heart has grown a few calluses
or I have become one
with the waves of a senseless ocean.

But I still love you, Babe,
the kind of love
that feels warm around my wrists.

No comments: