Sunday, August 8, 2010

this lazy sunday afternoon

this is a conversation that took between a young girl, probably fourteen or fifteen years of age and her mother, a frail lady -probably in her mid or late-forties, with blonde-brown permed hair. the young girl, let's call her Ms L, is caked with make-up, on a sunday afternoon at 1:30 pm. in a food court. she is wearing thin heels, which elevates her height by atleast an inch or two. mother M, is in frayed sandals. she is wearing a ring on every finger of her left hand. and has a very eccentric smile. she breathes heavily, as she whispers some random syllables to her daughters ears. followed by a yawn, where she half-stuck out her tongue and made a click sound as she paused. she patted L's back for no obvious reason. and decided to have a serious conversation, i guess. in the Subway line, at the Galleria.

I am standing behind the two of them. waiting for my onion-flavored chicken teriyaki sandwich.

M: Hey sweetie, so I have been meaning to ask you for a while. But yea... what exactly is text messaging?

L (pretends to have not heard what was asked) : mamma, did you order your sandwich yet?

M (clearing her throat): yes dear. i did. i got a meatball footlong. how about you? oh yea, i was wondering, what exactly is text messaging, can you explain it to me a bit?

By this point, I could hear L release a mild grunt.

L: well instead of talking, people just message. What do you want me explain mom? stop embarassing me.

M (extremely nonchalant): oh but i'm sorry honey. do you mean, by this service, you can send me something i can read?

L: exactly, now let's go.

M: But honey, i'll miss your voice so much. i didn't know you could not hear the person's voice if you text messaged. oh my...what a pity...(fading) don't ever text me honey, i'll miss your voice, and.... ....

I was done by this point. L was dragging M outside the mall. that's as much as I can recall.

No comments: