Tuesday, February 23, 2016

On the train

I.
 
Facing South, on a North-bound train,
From Trenton Center to New York City,
I notice, from my carriage window,
The world slipping away.
 
Power lines, overhead,
Crisscrossing, zigzagging,
Spindling, quivering,
Twirling effortlessly in black shawls –
On which pigeons
Are lost in love,
And rivers
Are saying prayers.
 
Trees, at a distance, dead
From Winter’s rebuke,
Are merely sketches of cracked branches
On which once
Autumn was asleep
And leaves
Choked on laughter.
 
Grasses, by the mouths of lakes,
Are silent, under clouds
The color of aluminum nuggets –
Packing bags, saying goodbye,
Journeying into the deepest mantle,
To perish and to die.
 
The sun, to my right,
Is a satin haze,
Clipped to the sky
That shares its postal address
With the perimeter of our galaxy.
 
Cars, on the highway,
Zipping, screeching,
Moaning, breaking,
Trundling on wheels
Older than Pearl Harbor,
Some red with blush,
Some white as fear,
Some,
The color of sunrise.
 
You, to my left,
Reading Sappho’s Ode,
Were once a friend,
Who loved
The names of my fingers,
The wrinkles on my tongue,
The wheezes of my breaths,
Till your mother died,
And you,
Addicted to heroin,
Raped my only sister.

No comments: