Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Saturday without you

1.

I come back home from work,
Knowing
that you are away,
But wishing, nevertheless,
That you are there –
Waiting for me.

But of course,
You are gone
To a clinic somewhere,
And the apartment
Is silent.  

I switch on a lamp,
Change my clothes,
And pour myself a glass of wine.

A dozen pink peonies
drink water
on the east windowsill.

A violent wind
Percusses.

I finish my glass
Walk over to the kitchen
Sit on the floor
And meditate for twenty minutes –
Listening to a recording
On Quiet Lotus.

It ends with the words,
Love yourself.

I don’t.
I cannot.

I pour myself another;
            The sound of refill,
A new acquaintance,
And read
from an anthology of ocean poems.

It feels comforting,
Relaxing, even.

But then I scream.

The neighbor, Jon,
knocks.

Are you okay?
            Are you okay, Tom?

I keep quiet,
Holding onto your toothbrush –
Feeling,
The remnants of your breaths,
Circle around my fingers
Like a ring.

Eventually,
he leaves.

I hear his footsteps
Disappear.
 
I leave a voicemail
On your answering machine
I love you, Babe
And go to sleep.

No comments: