Thursday, April 7, 2016

You

1.

On some nights
When you are away
on OB shifts at the hospital
I have such intense longing
for you,
That I sit at the living room table,
Turn on the lamp, 
And eat dinner with your shadow -
Holding, tightly, onto
the shirt you wore
the day before.

Memories
Precipitate onto my warm soup bowl.

Sounds of yesterday's laughter
Pollinate the sofa cover.

I cry out loud.

Your absence
bruises me 
like a volley of bricks.

So, I sit in silence
And play chess
with a lily.

I lose.

I stare at the kitchen faucet
and notice
its gray knobby nostril.

I read poetry
To the perfume bottle
on the nightstand.
And send you a text message.

Babe, I feel like a hurricane
without you.

But you don't respond.

You are probably in a delivery room
Giving birth to a baby.

No comments: